History of the Memorial
At a general meeting of The Sherwood Foresters Old Comrades Association held on the 8th October 1921 at Chesterfield an executive committee was appointed to consider the question of erecting a War Memorial to the memory of the 11,409 Sherwood Foresters who had died during the Great War 1914 - 1918. A year later it was suggested that, perhaps the site of 'Crich Stand' would make an ideal memorial for the Sherwood Foresters.
Major F C A Hurt of Alderwasley granted the site to the War Memorial Committee on the most generous terms. The Architect who designed the Memorial Tower was Lieutenant Colonel Brewill, unfortunately he died before the Tower was completed in 1923, but his son Captain L C Brewill carried out the supervision of the building to its completion.
The builder was Joseph Payne of Crich and the Memorial was erected at a cost of approximately £2382 with the money being raised through public subscription. It was officially opened a 4.00 pm on Monday 6th August 1923.
There is another part to the Memorial, which is not generally known. This was the provision of two books in which are inscribed the names of all the men of the Regiment who were killed in the Great War 0f 1914 - 1918. One book is deposited at The Sherwood Foresters Museum Gallery in Nottingham Castle and the other is deposited in the Derby City Museum and Art Gallery. They are commonly known as the Roll of Honour, or Books of Remembrance.
Seven years after the end of the Second World War in 1952, a dedication to the memory of 1,520 Sherwood Foresters who had died during this war was added to the Memorial.
On the 7th July 1991, two bronze plaques, positioned one either side of the doorway of the Memorial Tower were dedicated:
Plaque A reads: This Memorial Tower is dedicated to the memory of those of The Sherwood Foresters who gave their lives in the Service of their Country from 1945 to 1970.
Plaque B reads: This Memorial Tower is also dedicated to the memory of those of The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment who gave their lives in the Service of their Country since the formation of the Regiment in 1970.
The War Memorial in the unique form of a lighthouse is situated on the hill overlooking the village of Crich and the National Tramway Village. Known as Crich Stand, this is probably Derbyshire's most famous landmark. Access is allowed to the public and on a clear day it is possible to see seven counties - Lincoln to the East and the Wrekin to the West.
World War One
|BOWMER||Vernon. MC. Lt.|
|SARGENT||H. 2nd. Lt.|
|SMITH||T. MM. Pte.|
World War Two
|ROWELL||W. Flying Officer.|
|TOMLINSON||R. Leading Seaman.|
|WILKINS||G.J. Asst. Purser.|
|WILKINS||W.E.J. L. A. C.|
|WRAGG||E. L. A. C.|